Friday 9 December 2011

WEEK 10 7TH December 2011

Here  is a recap of the last few stages of the final exercise so you can finish your artwork. Please scan or photograph your work and post it or send it to me on facebook  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=789280569

Most of you got to the inking stage on Tuesday. Remember the inking demonstration I gave you and how I applied  an uneven line to the stonework (see above) and how it gave a weathered and worn look. Crisp, clean, straight ruled lines will make it appear new and a bit too technical. Add pitted marks  and scratches to give a more authentic stone effect to the architecture and gargoyle.
As we are using sugar paper for this exercise,  it will be difficult to achieve a flat application with a  marker . Notice in the pic above that the colour is not flat. If this drawing were meant for anything other than a fun exercise, like,  for example, a printed publication  or book cover etc, I would produce this on appropriate material for using a marker to give a flat application. For example, layout paper or photocopy paper.
Once the rain has been applied, the uneven marker work will not be as noticeable.
Remember how I started at one end of the illustration and worked my way around .Try to complete your marker application in one continuous flow.
I created the moon surface using a chinagraph pencil. You can get them here

Or use a good quality white pencil  such as Derwent or Faber Castell

Here is some reference of the moon's surface.

 I used permanent white gouache and a no.2 sable watercolour brush which gave me more control when creating the highlights. The highlights should only appear on the upper outer ridges of the gargoyle and stone work.


I used a Pentel correction pen to create the rain. Quick, straight strokes leaves a broken line and make the rain visible but not too intrusive.


You should end up with something resembling the above.

All the exercises of this term (along with some other fun stuff that was not included) can be found in HOW TO DRAW FANTASY ART published by Arcturus Punblishing, available some time in March 2012 and will be available from www.amazon.co.uk and most book stores.

I will continue to post anything I find of interest over the Christmas break, so please check back some time soon.
Have a good Christmas Break. See you next year.



No comments:

Post a Comment